University Research Park has dedicated its large conference (Room 50) at 510 Charmany Drive in honor of Irving Shain.
Shain envisioned and created University Research Park while serving as Chancellor of the University of Wisconsin – Madison from 1977 to 1986. University Research Park was created to foster technology transfer of research and generate income to support the educational and research mission of the University. Chancellor Shain served on the Board of Trustees for the University Research Park from its creation in 1984 through 2015. He earned a Ph.D. in Chemistry, served in the U.S. Army, and came to the University of Wisconsin – Madison in 1952, rising to chair the Chemistry Department.
In addition to creating the University Research Park, Shain distinguished himself as a dedicated mentor to numerous researchers and by creating student and faculty exchange programs with the People’s Republic of China. Chancellor Shain, a lover of music, generously sponsored numerous student music competitions through the School of Music.
The art work in the room is by Tommy Sweeny and represents buildings on the UW campus and throughout University Research Park.